Thursday, June 7, 2007

Subsisting in South Dakota




I’ve recently been informed on many fronts that the piano on this blog is getting a little bit boring and we need to update. I guess life has been a little bit busy lately. We are trying to get our yard in, which is an endless project. We just put in planter boxes for our garden and a hedge along the back of the yard. I was able to get a bunch of perennial starts from the seeds that Amy, Kristie and I gathered from my ID garden. We’ll see how everything survives while we’re away on our summer adventure.

The kids started their summer vacation with a bang since their “Grandma Cow” (this is not referring to any of her personal physical attributes or odors, rather, it is a reference to the cows that they had on their farm from when Rylee was a toddler and met, at minimum, about 5 grandparents in a matter of weeks. She gave each a nickname since some of the greats and grands had the same last names, therefore we ended up with G&G Cow, G&G No David – later shortened to David, G&G Cheese – no idea how that came about, and G&G Zeba. None of the names are terribly flattering, but they stuck!) So with Grandma Cow we were able to see more of SD than we have since we moved here. We went to the Zoo and saw some water falls and went to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Homestead. (Gwen, you can pass along to Emily W. that it is worth the drive when her kids are a bit older.) The kids had a great time there. They got to make ropes, corncob dolls, and drive a team of horses to the school where they participated in a small class. Then they went on lots of pony rides. We hit it before the busy season, so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. It was very fun. One more reason for somebody to come visit us. Anyone. Anyone! Anyone? Well, keep it in mind.



I’ve attached the picture of our home in SD. I told you all we moved into a brand new house. Did I forget to mention that it was made out of sod? It’s right in my price range though. It costed (in the 1800’s) about $2.50 to build. Now that is a mortgage I can handle!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Yippee... SKIPPY! A new post on your blog. Cool. Sounds like you guys have been up to very fun things (even thought I already knew about all of them... hehehe)

I can't figure out why more people don't want to visit South Dakota! This place ROCKS!!! ;)

Brandon and Brittany said...

Kari, It looks like your hair has gotten longer. has it? Either way, I am happy you got an update on. How's the piano lessons by the way?

Daniel, Kari and Co. said...

South Dakota does truly rock! As Glen Beck said, "South Dakota - We have monuments!" I mean, how many states in this great nation have that as the only thing going for them?

And, yep Brittany, my hair has indeed gotten longer. It actually hasn't been this long since I had Morgan. This is because they don't recommend hair cuts in South Dakota, with the idea that it helps insulate a gal through the winter. Since I survived my first winter (assuming it is over!)it must work! :)

Gwen said...

I'm there!!!! If I would have known you had such exciting places to visit, we would have come to see you a long time ago. Laura Ingalls Wilder is a better incentive that "just to visit the Hancocks!" I'm so kidding by the way!!! Maybe one of these days we will make it up there to VISIT THE COOLEST FAMILY EVER!!! and to visit Laura Ingalls Wilder's homestead.
Greg would visit you if you lived in aberdeen. (last sentence typed by greg!)

Daniel, Kari and Co. said...

Tell Greg that since we have it in writing we will gladly accept a visit in Aberdeen - referring of course to Aberdeen, SD which is nearby (give or take an hour or two - Daniel's been there, but I am geographically illiterate). We'd be happy to meet you there if that's what it takes to get a visit out of you! :)