Monday, July 28, 2008

And the award for Mother of the Year goes to . . .

Thank you, Thank you very much!

I’ve let Emily monopolize my posts too much lately. Taylor must have felt inspired by her sister’s antics and coupling that with her mother’s state of distraction lately, well, I’ve earned the award – if not for Mother of the Year, then at least Mother of the Week.
First, on Saturday, Emily and Taylor were playing out in the wading pool. Taylor went into the garage for a little while. When I began to wonder where she was I went to find her. What I found was creamy white drool coming from both sides of her mouth, she was chewing enthusiastically, and in her sweet little innocent hand was a soft, chewy, chicken flavored dog treat. Yum! The unfortunate part here was that the one in her hand was untasted, which means that she had already eaten a whole other one. Gross! Later that night she kept point to her tummy and saying “huuurrrts.”
Just to seal the nomination, tonight we had FHE and I got “The Unsinkable Molly Brown” musical for us to watch afterward. While we were watching, Emily and Taylor went and played upstairs for a while. Just as I sent one of the Bigs up to see what they were up to they came downstairs. Taylor’s head and hair were sopping wet and styled into a faux-hawk (thanks for the terminology Byron) and I was thinking how cute it was that Emily’s already learning to do hair. So I held and kissed on Taylor’s little wet face and snuggled up with her during the movie. Fast forward to post-movie when I go upstairs and see water all around the toilet. I asked Emily if she had an accident, then I accuse her of having an accident. After which she indignantly informs me that it’s not potty, that Taylor was playing in the water. That’s why she was all wet. That was what she styled her hair with. That is why I now only have one question to ask. How many times should a person wash their lips when they have been kissing toilet water on their baby’s face?

9 comments:

Amy said...

ahhhhhhhh!!!! NO! NO! NO!

go drink some Purell NOW!!!

Nield said...

We can't stop laughing... and started before we got to the end... I truly love your writing (not to mention your mothering) style... and remind us not to exchange kisses next time we are together... or, just think, that water was just in the bowl for just a short time, probably not too filthy... but then how do you define too filthy... we love you all, grandpa and grandma nield...

Alissa said...

yeah, i'm with Amy on the Purell....

Glad to know my 1 year old isn't the only one discovering the joys the bathroom can hold! Just think of what fun Tay and Cole could have together!

Sister Savanah Jo Ward said...

You might want to brush your teeth with clorox too just for good measure. By the way, I am a blogger again so you might want to check it out.

Q and T McKnight said...

I am still laughing since you shared with me during our visiting teaching travels. All I can say is you have definitely earned "Mother of the Month". You are such a trooper and an incredible example to all of us!

Grandma T

Amy said...

LOL! I think every mother has some kind of story like that! I promise.... it could be worse! I won't go into detail here, but ask me about it sometime! :)

Annie said...

Ha ha ha ha!! that is soo funny. A new reason to wash your mouth out with soap.

Melissa Hernandez said...

Hi Kari, I had to jump over to your blog and see how big your little Taylor is getting. Are you still in South Dakota or have you officially moved? My parents are going to be so sad now that you and Creer's are moving out of Brookings!!!!

wix said...

That's yummy, Kari! I'm sure you keep your bathroom sparkling clean, though, right? Kiki