Monday, April 14, 2008

Celebration Time

We’ve been home schooling Rylee this year which has been fun and also extremely challenging for me. I like to think that the challenge is not because I am have retained less knowledge than a fourth grader, although I am pretty certain there is some truth to that, but rather that I am quite introverted and really like some downtime away from children. With home school I have all morning and part of the afternoon working with Rylee. Any time that she is working on her own it seems there is one or two of the babies that need something. However, in spite of my own personal defects, she has really worked hard and done well this year.

She had to take the state mandated standardized tests these past few weeks, and obsessive compulsive freak that I am, I was concerned that there would be something on there that I hadn’t taught her, which would then make any resulting poor scores my fault. Therefore, we really pushed through the textbooks and were able to completely finish the math book, history, and all but the final chapter in Science before the test. I’ve been so impressed with what a hard worker she is and with her willingness to do lots of work to get through it all. It’s been fun to watch her grasping concepts that were holding her back before and doing really well on her math and reading.


Rylee’s latest quote that made me chuckle was when she wanted to learn how to play the song “Listen to the Still Small Voice” on the piano. She was telling me about it, but called it “Listen to the Still Small Voices.” I was left wondering, is that was a primary song for schizophrenics?


I’ve included some of the pictures from her Birthday for the Grandmas and Pas since they couldn’t be here. She must be growing up, as this year is the first time she requested a store bought cake as opposed to one of my creations.

This last pictures is of Rylee and Morgan and friends at their first concert. We took them to the world renowned “Riders in the Sky.” What do you mean you haven’t heard of them? Oh well, the girls thought it was pretty fun. They even got their tickets autographed!

3 comments:

linda said...

Way to go, Rylee! I am proud of all your hard work! And all your Mom's work. You guys are doing awesome!

Alissa said...

You're gorgeous, Rylee! Hope your birthday was fantastic!

Annie said...

Good job homeschooling Kari! I need to talk to you about that sometime, I'm considering homeschooling Jacob next year.
Also, Could Rylee look any more like you? She's your clone! And Beautiful, just like you!