Saturday, April 21, 2007

Too Much Independence?



Daniel is concerned that the girls are encouraged toward a little too much independence at too young of an age. From the time they are two they are able to get themselves dressed (if we are going in public I do some editing of the outfits and hair) and are fairly capable of getting themselves some food to eat and, within reason, something to drink.
He felt that it was a little sad when Morgan was making herself peanut butter and jelly sandwichs at two - but really, I would have gotten around to feeding her eventually I just forget to keep a schedule when working on other projects. :) Well, we seem to have a repeat with Emily. I heard her scooting her chair around the kitchen and went in and she had all of the required paraphernalia for pb&j's out. She wouldn't accept help so I let her go for it. I was so impressed with her first creation I thought I'd share it. Not too bad for a girl who's just barely two!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I love Emily! And man, that little girl can make one awesome pb&j. :)

p.s. I wish I could "let go" enough to let my kids be more independent. that's the problem w/ being a control freak... I need more of YOU in ME for SURE!

ChAnDrA said...

MA AND PA!!!!!!! ITS ME CHANDRA!! I AM NOT SURE HOW THIS "BLOGG" THING WORKS SO I HOPE THAT YOU GET THIS MESSAGE AND MABY EVEN RESPOND. ANYWAYS, AMY WARD GAVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. WELL, I JUST WANTED TO SAY HI SO I GUESS I WILL GO NOW. BYE!

Daniel, Kari and Co. said...

There are obvious pros and cons to independence in children - I can guarantee that your house is always cleaner, miss amy c. I also noticed little miss squishy in quite the self-fashioned, but adorable outfit, just this week!

Daniel, Kari and Co. said...

Chandra, good to hear from you! How's college life treating you? I would love an email with all your latest details so we can find out what our long lost daughter is up to. We'll do our best to keep the blog updated and maybe it will be easier to stay in touch!