Monday, November 17, 2008

The Merciful Edge of Insanity

I haven’t given a moving status update lately – mostly because I’ve been trying to perfect my genetically-acquired state of chronic denial and just not think about it. So here are the past few months in a nutshell:

May: Daniel accepts a job in Neb.

July: Daniel started his job in Neb. Kari left the state of reality and enjoyed a quick vacation.

August: Kari perfects the art of single parenting.

September: End of month the house sold – Yea! Set to close Dec 1st, which seemed way out – too far out when we signed. However, in spite of looking at every home for sale and rent within a 30 mile radius of Daniel’s work, no housing foreseeable for F6w/D (family of six with a dog).

October: No housing possibilities in the horizon for a F6w/D. Kari continues praying with frantic haste.

November: Week one, in an act of desperation we decided to make an offer on a home about 25 miles away from Daniel’s job. However, by the time we got to it there was already an offer on it.

Soon thereafter another foreclosure came available that was big, 4 bed 3 bath, decent sized kitchen, etc. Very affordable, lots of work, but if the market holds (that, of course is something one can not count on in this day and age!) then it should gain pretty good value with some elbow grease and carpet and paint and cabinets, and light fixtures, and countertops . . . you get the point. We offered, they accepted all except changing the date of closing. And unfortunately I felt just sick about it – completely unsettled. Isn’t that sad, I just love a good bargain, would love to have a house to redecorate pretty much from scratch. However, we just felt icky.

Last Friday the papers came back from the bank for us to sign the counter on the house and then it would be ours.

Last Friday Daniel finds out about a 4 bedroom, 2 bath rental on 4 acres, closer to where he works. It also included affordable rent and a great deal of HOPE.

So we decided not to sign on the house (I wish I could erase the memory of it so I don’t compare other homes to the deal that we passed up) and to go with the rental. With the exception of momentary pangs of disbelief at what we passed up, I feel so, so, so much lighter.

I have never had to fast and pray and seek the Spirit as I have through this long, excruciating experience. My testimony of God’s concern and love for His children has been strengthened and I look forward with anticipation (okay, and perhaps a little trepidation when my faith waivers) at what the Lord has in mind for our little F6w/D.

In this past General Conference, Elder Wirthlin’s stated: “The Lord Jesus Christ is our partner, helper, and advocate. He wants us to be happy. He wants us to be successful. If we do our part, He will step in.” I’m still trying to figure out what part is mine to do, but he followed up later in his talk with this. “The simple secret is this: put your trust in the Lord, do your best, then leave the rest to Him.”

It should be an exciting journey!

10 comments:

Alissa said...

Didn't I hear your part was sending a resume to Hermiston ASAP? :-)

Glad you're feeling better about things - you didn't sound too good when we chatted on Thursday.

Looking forward to seeing you in January, if not before!

Sister Savanah Jo Ward said...

Ya see! Things do manage to turn out even if it's not what we expect!

Iowaspuds said...

Good luck with everything, especially on staying sane and all. We are excited to see you a little closer!

Amy said...

Kar!
yowsas!!!

let's think of it this way:

it COULD be F6w/2D/2C/P

got that? ;)

love and miss you. it's all going to work out.

Q and T McKnight said...

You are such an incredible example to all, and one of the most patient persons I have ever met.

Kari, me and Quinn are really going to miss you and the girls (I am still working on missing Daniel - I am working through the feelings of Daniel moving you to Nebraska, hee, hee).

We are so glad you will be spending Thanksgiving with us.

T

linda said...

Kari- I bought the bargain disgusting (just needs a little elbow grease. . )larger home. 2.5 years and $25,000 later it still smells funny and just needs a little more elbow grease. . .

Really- I don't think I would do it again. Go with the rental! They have to fix whatever breaks!

bren said...

Hey, do you like how I found you? I am glad that you are on yet another adventure!!! Sounds exciting to me!! Can you give me a call or e-mail, I need help with stake history,that is info on Daniel's SS, YM & Mission Leader experiences from when you all lived in Zion!!! (Sorry I lost you phone #) moved my office home!!! We are grandparents of twins!! Logan and Lucy!!! We need to catch up when it is good for you! love and miss you!!!

Brandon and Brittany said...

Hey LOVED your newsletter. Just got it in the mail today. Ironically, I was working on our crossword today and thought I was ahead of the game. Shame shame. Laughed OUT LOUD! Love you guys. Honestly, your wit astounds me.

Kristin and Jay said...

There was a blip about procreation in your newsletter. I looked, but found no further details on the blog. Was it an announcement or a dream? kristin

Sister Savanah Jo Ward said...

Okay the journey into insanity must come to an end. Where are you?!?