Friday, August 29, 2008

Birds and Bees

I have been accused, on occasion, of giving too much information to my children about the human anatomy or answering questions with more info than is basically necessary. However, as proof that this is not the case I had a little discussion with Rylee, as she is going back to school and didn’t get the whole “Coming of Age” presentation at school last year. I figured we should talk about basic growing up things and then of course I merged into the boy/girl subject upon which I merely asked a few mildly probing questions, wondering how much she understood. Subtle mother that I am, I did this while working in the kitchen, so as to appear nonchalant and not have all my attention directed toward her. The initial question was greeted with an affronted “MOooOoOM.” The next question was ignored, and by the time I got around to saying the “S” word I turned around and she was no longer in the room. I found her lying on the couch, pillow over her head, crying. Mother of the Year again goes to . . . yep, me.

Well, a couple of weeks later Emily was asking about our bodies the conversation went, roughly, as follows:

Emily: “Mom, who made our bodies?”
Kari: “Well, Jesus gave us our bodies, (Here is me learning from my mistakes – aka. giving too much information) but mom and dad helped make your body.”
Emily: “Mom, who made our bums.”
Kari: “Well, Jesus made us so we have bums (Here is me dropping the afore mentioned subject).”
Emily: “But who made our bums.”
Kari: “Well, mom and Dad made your bum when you were in my tummy.”
Emily: “You made my bum?”
Kari: “Yep, when you were in my tummy.”
Emily: “That disgusting.”

End of conversation.

6 comments:

Alissa said...

Okay, I'm laughing so hard I've got tears running...I love your girls! Can't wait to have these funny moments with my boys!

Sister Savanah Jo Ward said...

Gotta love that girl! Between the three of them, soon four, you could seriously write a book.

Annie said...

That is hilarious! I love your posts they always make me laugh out loud!

Annie said...

That is hilarious! I love your posts they always make me laugh out loud!

Q and T McKnight said...

Welcome to the world of preparing a teenager. I remember these days oh too well. Good luck!

Emily is such a little doll. I could hear her sweet little voice when I read your BLOG. She is way to smart for her age.

Thanks for the fun day on Saturday!

With Love,

Mother T

wix said...

I'm laughing. It's been a while since we've hung out, so it brought back memories of the "Too Much Information" about you, Kari. I love it!
Kiki